Skip to main content

As We Ring The Curtain Down...


Today was a strange day for me...a feeling that I least expected engulfed me as I bid farewell to my graduating cohort.I always saw myself as one of those brisk lecturers who go,deliver their lecture, mark assignments and wrap up the semester...I felt comfortable in keeping myself as detached as possible from my students..(Not to say that I wasn't there to advise them or help them along) I just wanted to maintain that student teacher distance  ( As some of my teachers had done so in our golden days of IBA)...

One would rightfully question this strategy of mine...to tell you the truth I was following examples of my own lecturers...I thought..being aloof of your students...somehow increases your reputation in their eyes...they don't take your for granted and revere every single advise you throw their way...somehow my graduating cohort proved this wrong for me today...

14 gleaming faces were pacing the corridor of the administrative sciences building as I made my way in. I had their futures in my hand....and they were all anxious to have a look at how they had performed. I wanted to keep this meeting pretty quick..my husband and daughter were waiting for me outside in the car...but...it was neither the shortest nor the last of our meetings....


The half an hour in the class room was the usual for us all...the same drill...show the papers..confirm the marks( some tid bit nagging from  students for a few marks here and there :P..there are always such cases  I tell you ehehe..)..get signatures..and say goodbyes...However,as I was leaving the class..I felt a lump in my throat..I wanted to say a lot..but the words somehow stuck somewhere within me...It was against the brisk,dominant and bossy Miss Sadaf to come out of her shell and tell her students what she really wanted to...all I muttered was a half hearted goodbye..and a half smiling,half frowning final  picture....

But this right here, is my place...my place to say whatever I want to...my place to let these few important youngsters know what they taught me over the course of these past 5 months. So to all corny 14 of you...you people and I clicked the first session that we had together...I didn't feel like a 50 year old lecturer for once :P...I felt we had the same interests....similar ways of thinking (just that the extra 5 years of my age added some wisdom to my personality :P...and I am not boasting about it at all...lol..)....

I felt that you people acted the way we used to when I was sitting in those benches...yes we would make fun of our lecturer...crack wacky jokes..and yes one thing that we were best at...coming up with the world's best excuses for a job not being done...you people made me relearn these lessons for sure...

You  made me nostalgic...reminded me of my own classmates...I could clearly see one of my clan in each one of you...You made me remember how when in universities we tend to fight over matters ever so trivial...you made me lecture you over it..(Though I know that your grudges still remain where they were...there's still time..let go of your egos..and give each other big hug..:)

You made me relive my dreams...this blog is a result of you people...i still remember the first time we met...i got to see some passionate bakers,some event planners,some finance gurus..and I sat down one night..and I pondered over what I really wanted to do with my life...teaching was never my passion..(oh my! a great revelation....not to  be mentioned to the authorities...whom I had forced into believing the very opposite in my hiring interview :P)..I always wanted to pen down my thoughts...write a book someday maybe...and well if I ever succeed in doing so, it will surely be dedicated to each one of you...

You all made me love my profession...(and that sure is a big one for you guys!)..I had been teaching like a robot for the past 3 years now...it was just a drill for me..my heart and soul never contributed anything in my lectures...you made me go the extra mile for you.....so as much as you all might be thanking your lucky stars today ( I gave all of you the benefit of our good bilateral relations today lol :p)..I am thankful to you too...for making me believe that God planned this profession for me...because I can ace it...and I can make a difference to the lives of hundreds like you...and for once I want to be that I person...I want to be known as a great lecturer.

I'll leave you on this note..and wish you all the very best for times to come..may all your dreams and aspirations come true..its going to be a harsh world out there...but the confines of the University will always be your safe haven...and you will find me there....whenever you want....


P.s. I'll dedicate this song to you all..have a good read and good melody


Comments

  1. Hi,

    This reminded me of my graduation days and sad goodbyes.
    Nice Read, Keep calm and carry on :)

    Regards

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A rendezvous with Ayeza Sumsam Mohiuddin (Brand Manager,Skin Health Care Category)

My meet-cute with Ayeza was out of any professional and academic settings, we met at a mutual relative's place and instantly clicked. She was a year younger than me and yet her take on life inspired me at that point in time too. We then lost touch of each other only to meet again at IBA, where we used to pass occasional glances and smiles as we both were too occupied to make a decent conversation. Today, when I searched among my Facebook friends for an inspirational marketer, Ayeza's named popped in my mind and on my screen almost immediately,I reached out to her, not expecting her to message so promptly as I knew she is a busy young lady. But, this bright person made me awe struck once again, by the very manner in whichshe welcomed the idea of "The Placement Office", I could feel her giddy with excitement as she answered all my questions pain painstakingly detailing as much as possible.  I hope our conversation with Ayeza today, can inspire hundreds and tho

Fields of Gold

I was standing in my kitchen admiring the lush  greens that Islamabad offered me after a short spell of rain...the soothing scent of the first few water droplets hitting the dry barren earth was like magic to my nostrils.....lost in my reverie ...the rain and the weather somehow made me nostalgic, took me back to memories of 82.5. 82.5 was my room at Warwick...the one place where I want to go back to again and again..the one place that set me free from the confines of my own personality...gave me a chance to explore...to create memories that I can always look back to...I still remember my first trip to my room..one of the most hectic journeys for me. I was accompanied by my dad that day, back then we were both new to the English weather..had just left all our family exactly two weeks ago to shift to a land where it never stopped raining! (hailing from Karachi,this seemed like an abnormality to me).  The killing walks Anyways as you can very well imagine we both weren'

Learning,to Unlearn

I was lazily surfing my newsfeed when this video caught my attention  study session  this video shows a mother is force teaching her daughter..people are m a making all kinds of comments on it..some even have the audacity to find the video "cute" and entertaining!! The sight of that child wailing and crying and trying to remember simple counting brought back memories flooding back to my mind of a friend who had to go through to the same ordeal. I was among the cool kids who would spend a good one hour at a task and there you go.it used to be etched in my memory, when teachers would ask  us about the task we would raise our hands up  high to answer the question and get some brownie points...but there in the corner would be my buddy...the uncool one. The one who would sink in the back benches to escape the wrath of the teacher who would miss no chance to sham that poor kid in-front of twenty others just because to her things didn't come as easy as they did to us.