Skip to main content

Of Fathers and Daughters....

It was on a chirpy morning of the 21st of April when a little birdy came and snuggled in my arms. I don't remember much from that day except for the fact that to me she looked exactly like her dad...and I smiled at this thought as slumber engulfed me

Today as I see my daughter chirping around I feel a strange emotion, one that can't be put into words...my love for her is strange..part of me want her to grow up fast and achieve all the milestones I have in mind for her..the other part longs for that biiig hug and a wettest possible kiss that smears saliva all over my face... (I'll always miss this)...but my bond with her is innate....we were meant to be friends,rather best friends..its just how God programmed us..embedded love in our biology...love that can never ever fall weak...


However whenever I see her longing for her dad all day long with a sullen look, my heart goes out to her...when I see her eyes sparkle at the sight of her baba jani..my heart skips a beat..and then when she says baba  miss you and tells him good night..I see how sad she is about letting her guardian angel go...even while asleep she would roll towards him and put an arm on his chest..making sure that her knight in shining armour is there for her......

This is the kind of relation I always dreamt of, to be between my daughter and her dad. For I understand today the significance that dads hold in a child's upbringing. Yes, you hear me right...its not always about the mother...who nurtures  and cares...the father has a duty bigger and far more important than just providing for the kid's meals.

My dad has always been my pillar of strength, though as a child I kept my distance ( mostly because I saw him.so busy caught up in work) I took that time I had with him for granted..little did I know that I will miss being his princess..even tough I am someone else's queen today. In spite of his tantrums and at times his angry episodes..he is still my papa and I always turn back to him to guide me through..to pray for my success...and to give me that push when I am in dire need of one
..when I am scared to take that jump..I know he will somehow make it all look very easy and make me go for it...

I say it with a heavy heart ...but I wish I could go back in time and undo all those times when I preferred hanging out with my friends or get engrossed in a book rather than spending time with this one immensely important person...I can't go back in time though...but what I can do is strengthen my daughter's bond with her dad,make her cherish each moment that she spends with him and yearn for him when he isn't with her...for this bond is sacred,its too precious to not pay heed to.....the mother sometimes need to step back and give that space to these two individuals.so that this beautiful bond may bloom forever....

I'll stop here and leave you with a melody which defines this relation very well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A rendezvous with Ayeza Sumsam Mohiuddin (Brand Manager,Skin Health Care Category)

My meet-cute with Ayeza was out of any professional and academic settings, we met at a mutual relative's place and instantly clicked. She was a year younger than me and yet her take on life inspired me at that point in time too. We then lost touch of each other only to meet again at IBA, where we used to pass occasional glances and smiles as we both were too occupied to make a decent conversation. Today, when I searched among my Facebook friends for an inspirational marketer, Ayeza's named popped in my mind and on my screen almost immediately,I reached out to her, not expecting her to message so promptly as I knew she is a busy young lady. But, this bright person made me awe struck once again, by the very manner in whichshe welcomed the idea of "The Placement Office", I could feel her giddy with excitement as she answered all my questions pain painstakingly detailing as much as possible.  I hope our conversation with Ayeza today, can inspire hundreds and tho

Fields of Gold

I was standing in my kitchen admiring the lush  greens that Islamabad offered me after a short spell of rain...the soothing scent of the first few water droplets hitting the dry barren earth was like magic to my nostrils.....lost in my reverie ...the rain and the weather somehow made me nostalgic, took me back to memories of 82.5. 82.5 was my room at Warwick...the one place where I want to go back to again and again..the one place that set me free from the confines of my own personality...gave me a chance to explore...to create memories that I can always look back to...I still remember my first trip to my room..one of the most hectic journeys for me. I was accompanied by my dad that day, back then we were both new to the English weather..had just left all our family exactly two weeks ago to shift to a land where it never stopped raining! (hailing from Karachi,this seemed like an abnormality to me).  The killing walks Anyways as you can very well imagine we both weren'

Learning,to Unlearn

I was lazily surfing my newsfeed when this video caught my attention  study session  this video shows a mother is force teaching her daughter..people are m a making all kinds of comments on it..some even have the audacity to find the video "cute" and entertaining!! The sight of that child wailing and crying and trying to remember simple counting brought back memories flooding back to my mind of a friend who had to go through to the same ordeal. I was among the cool kids who would spend a good one hour at a task and there you go.it used to be etched in my memory, when teachers would ask  us about the task we would raise our hands up  high to answer the question and get some brownie points...but there in the corner would be my buddy...the uncool one. The one who would sink in the back benches to escape the wrath of the teacher who would miss no chance to sham that poor kid in-front of twenty others just because to her things didn't come as easy as they did to us.