Skip to main content

Life's a Melody...


For reasons unknown..I always tend to define life situations through music...(you might have figured this one out by the musical touch that every post of mine offers....) There have always been songs that make me happy...make me vengeful..make me giddy...and yes my utmost favorite are the ones that are mellower...make me sad..make me ponder...somehow sorrow brings with it a barrage of points to ponder over for me...a recent entrant to this list of mine is Mera Pyar Tum He ho.....

Zaki created this piece of  art at the prime of his short lived  career....although I was still too naive back then to really understand the true meaning of the song ...(superficially it seems to be for a beloved...for whom Zaki must have been head over heels...)..but today as I hear this song...just to remember him once more...I feel he sang this song as an ode to his passion..and his passion was nothing more and nothing less than the six strings tied to a piece of wood...something that I never  lost sight of as long as I saw him on TV. His guitar...something that stood by him when no one else did.

When my mom heard of Zaki's demise...she started off with the regular motherly rants of how the music industry is a bad place to be ..how it gets you live through hell and back just so that someone else like me can hear a beautiful melody and make my day...she specially was infuriated at how the media didn't really value the gem that he was.... I agreed with her mostly but then as I started to pen this down..I got thinking...I asked my self if really, it was all true...

Every profession...be it being a teacher,a doctor...a lawyer.,every profession..I repeat...requires a balance.....If I go on teaching my students all day long..just because I am passionate about my subject...and want to impart all my knowledge..I do not think I'll be paid much heed too...(who cares about a lousy old lecturer who goes on an on, anyways..who wants to turn a keen ear to someone who doesn't listens to her audience...)...

This is exactly what these musicians  forget over the course of their zeal filled lives...creating melodies that provide solace to them might not be what the audience was seeking out for...and when the odds are in your face..these sensitive souls get bouts of utter depression..they break down...they can't take the feeling of their work ( a great piece of art) being rejected...(come to think of it..when I write something..I check my blogger account ten times a day just to see how many people commented and viewed my piece of writing..I am beaming that day, when people around me pass away with words of encouragement.All this is for something that takes merely an hour of effort)..imagine..someone working over a melody for some excruciating six months..and then seeing it fail...we all being humans..can't deal with it all..its way too much a burden for our souls...

Death, as I see it brings about the best in people..people who might have ignored Zaki's repeated calls asking for loans..or avoiding his bipolar mood swings might be the ones showering him with hearty condolences today...(truthfully, he was the forgotten chapter of a very good book)...but death refreshed all those good memories..once again...

I am not an expert on  music or on psychological disorders...but I hope that my two cents on this tragic death might save another young soul following the same fate...life never stays the same..your creativity has its peaks and lows...the artificial world of your recording studio is your safe haven..but beyond that is a world that is looking out for you like a hungry eagle..it wont value your efforts..it wont see how you stayed up through out the night for the past six months to create a sound perfect for our ears...this hungry eagle..will be looking out for times when you are down in your dumps...it will laugh at you when it sees you lost....lost in the darkness of your own soul....

To all the passionate musicians around...





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A rendezvous with Ayeza Sumsam Mohiuddin (Brand Manager,Skin Health Care Category)

My meet-cute with Ayeza was out of any professional and academic settings, we met at a mutual relative's place and instantly clicked. She was a year younger than me and yet her take on life inspired me at that point in time too. We then lost touch of each other only to meet again at IBA, where we used to pass occasional glances and smiles as we both were too occupied to make a decent conversation. Today, when I searched among my Facebook friends for an inspirational marketer, Ayeza's named popped in my mind and on my screen almost immediately,I reached out to her, not expecting her to message so promptly as I knew she is a busy young lady. But, this bright person made me awe struck once again, by the very manner in whichshe welcomed the idea of "The Placement Office", I could feel her giddy with excitement as she answered all my questions pain painstakingly detailing as much as possible.  I hope our conversation with Ayeza today, can inspire hundreds and tho

Learning,to Unlearn

I was lazily surfing my newsfeed when this video caught my attention  study session  this video shows a mother is force teaching her daughter..people are m a making all kinds of comments on it..some even have the audacity to find the video "cute" and entertaining!! The sight of that child wailing and crying and trying to remember simple counting brought back memories flooding back to my mind of a friend who had to go through to the same ordeal. I was among the cool kids who would spend a good one hour at a task and there you go.it used to be etched in my memory, when teachers would ask  us about the task we would raise our hands up  high to answer the question and get some brownie points...but there in the corner would be my buddy...the uncool one. The one who would sink in the back benches to escape the wrath of the teacher who would miss no chance to sham that poor kid in-front of twenty others just because to her things didn't come as easy as they did to us.

Fields of Gold

I was standing in my kitchen admiring the lush  greens that Islamabad offered me after a short spell of rain...the soothing scent of the first few water droplets hitting the dry barren earth was like magic to my nostrils.....lost in my reverie ...the rain and the weather somehow made me nostalgic, took me back to memories of 82.5. 82.5 was my room at Warwick...the one place where I want to go back to again and again..the one place that set me free from the confines of my own personality...gave me a chance to explore...to create memories that I can always look back to...I still remember my first trip to my room..one of the most hectic journeys for me. I was accompanied by my dad that day, back then we were both new to the English weather..had just left all our family exactly two weeks ago to shift to a land where it never stopped raining! (hailing from Karachi,this seemed like an abnormality to me).  The killing walks Anyways as you can very well imagine we both weren'